Monday, August 27, 2012

End of Summer Salads

     I'm so sad that summer is coming to an end.  This has been the best summer of my life and we've had so many good times with our friends and family.  These are my two go-to summer salads. They're delicious, super easy, and perfect for summer afternoon BBQ's.

Broccoli Salad


 The Goods:
  • 10 slices bacon
  • 1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 cup mayonnaise (I use olive oil mayo)
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
How to Make It:
  1. Bake bacon on a cookie sheet until crispy. (this is by far the best and only way to cook bacon)
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the broccoli, onion, cranberries, sunflower seeds and bacon.  In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture, and toss until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
     Sometimes I make this one vegetarian if I make it as a side dish for us at home.  But come on, everything is better with bacon so I wouldn't dare deprive my friends.  This is the only way the hubs will eat broccoli and he LOVES it.

     It's especially good the second day, once the broccoli has time to soak up the dressing. YUM!

Oriental Salad


The Goods:
  • 2 bags of coleslaw mix
  • 6 green onions thinly sliced
  • 1 cup salted sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
  • 2 packs of Oriental Mr. Noodles (noodles only, put the seasoning aside for the dressing)
Dressing:
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (I use extra virgin olive oil because it's healthier, but it does have a stronger taste than vegetable oil)
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp. chopped garlic
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 packs of oriental seasoning from the Mr. Noodles.
Directions:
  1. Combine coleslaw mix, crushed Mr. Noodles, onion, sunflower seeds, and toasted almonds ( I toast them in a frying pan on the stove with a little butter).
  2. Mix dressing and pour over salad if you're serving it within 20 minutes, otherwise leave the dressing off until you're ready to much.
     I just made this salad yesterday.  My mother in law gave me this recipe when P and I were first dating...it's pretty much the best salad ever and it's always a hit.



xo Enjoy,   Kiara







No comments:

Post a Comment