Monday, February 11, 2013

Homemade Baby Food

I've had a few of you ask me how I prep and store C's baby food.  So here it is :)

First, I peel, core, and chop whatever I'm making that day.  I try to stick to one or two choices at a time, otherwise I find it way too time consuming.

Then, I use a steamer, followed by the BabyBullet (probably my most used baby shower gift).  

If I didn't already own a steamer, I would probably invest in something like the Beaba Babycook, which is an all in one steamer and blender.
Once, the veggies/ fruits are soft, I throw them in the baby bullet with a couple tablespoons of residual water from the steamer and blend away.  I add more or less water, depending on the density of the veggie/fruit.
I transfer the puree over to the silicone storage trays.  The BabyBullet came with one tray, and I purchased a second tray at Walmart.  This allows me to store large batches of food without having to wait for the food to freeze each time.
Once the cubes are frozen, I just pop them out and store them in Ziploc freezer bags in a tray in my freezer for easy access. 

I take out 3 days worth of whatever I'm feeding C and store the cubes in little containers in the fridge.

When I'm ready to feed her, I sit the container in a dish of boiling water to heat it up and it's go time.

Although, making your own baby food is quite a bit more work than buying pre made stuff, I really like knowing that C is getting fresh food without any weird extras.  We also recently had a huge recall on Gerber Banana's since they found traces of glass in their product.  Way to lose my trust.
However, I always keep a couple of containers of pre made food on hand, just in case we run out of ours, or if we have to rush out somewhere.  I like the convenience of having them just in case.  I also, always buy pre made prunes because I have yet to try to make them myself yet, and to be honest, prunes creep me out.  Same goes with cereals and oatmeal.
C is also a Puff addict.  She loves being able to feed herself, and after a little practise she's getting pretty good at it.  We haven't had any choking incidences yet, but I'm always extra cautious when she's eating them.  Farleys Biscuits are just messy and fun.  They come apart in large chunks, so expect to have to dig them out once in a while.
Make shift prep station...nothing fancy here.

Foods C eats regularly:

Carrots
Sweet potato
Green Beans
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Butternut squash
Peas
Bananas
Apples
Pears
Cantaloupe

Oatmeal












No comments:

Post a Comment